Friday, August 29, 2008

Egg Whodunnit

The first egg arrived on Monday. The second egg arrived today. I had to wait four long, agonizing days in between! I swear these chickens love to tease me! I awoke at 3 and made my coffee then headed to the coop to look for eggs. I saw this cute little egg and when I picked it up I found that it was still warm. According to my forensics experience (zilch) it must have been laid sometime between 2 and 3 pm.

I still don't know who is laying the eggs. This one is not as long and pointy as the first. Could it be from a different chook? I suspect the Australorps, a breed known for laying early, but no one is fessing up!

Did you lay this egg Lily? She's not talking.

How 'bout you Betty? Did you lay this egg? She just turned her rump to me and ignored me. I compared the egg to her fluffy butt. But Betty is a Barred Rock and shouldn't be mature enough to lay yet at 20 weeks.

The world may never know!

3 comments:

  1. We get eggs of all sizes and shapes here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lily and Betty are very good at keeping secrets. I have a few I'd like to tell them. Nice looking egg. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud when I read this post! I have the same problem. I am getting three a day now, and I know who two of them are and have suspicions on the third. I am getting two browns and one white.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I may or may not be able to reply to comments depending on how busy I am.