Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What's Growing?

I wish I knew how to tell the difference between edible mushrooms and poisonous mushrooms. Yes, I have books, but honestly, would you eat a mushroom based on a book's description? I don't think so!

This fungus is growing off the cut stump of a rotted out Poplar tree. We cut it down last fall and the stump was chock full of grubs which we threw to the fish in the pond. We didn't have chickens then, or they would have gotten them instead. I found three grubs this spring and gave them to the chicks, which were really small at the time. I remember that Roo got one and swallowed it with great effort. It nearly filled his crop and left a funny bump on his chest!

This iron kettle is a focal point of the landscaping in front of the house. I am sticking to my purple and yellow color scheme and so far it looks really nice. I am amazed at the variety of purple and yellow plants that are available. My beds are looking so much nicer than the hodge-podge garden I had at our old house. It finally looks like the gardener has her act together!

I decided to use something unique for the center plant. Instead of using the typical spike plant, I stuck a dill in there. It has nice frilly foliage in a cool shade of green, and I can use it in the kitchen as well. I love anything that has a dual purpose.

6 comments:

  1. I stick to morels! I like your color choices, it will be very nice when it all fils out and comes pouring out of the container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, I work with an avid mushroom hunter who gave me a bag of morels last year. I made the most delicious stir-fry with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could identify mushrooms too. At least a couple times a year we get children brought into the ER after eating a mushroom and we have to take pictures and send it off for someone to identify.
    The kettle was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gardening with purples and yellows. For a few years that was my color scheme, although now I'm tossing a few more colors out, in the form of wildflower seeds.

    Your blog is quite nice, and I was wondering if you'd like to share links? I've added you to my own site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those big 'ol iron kettles and dutch ovens, too... but they're SOOO expensive in antique stores and flea markets around here. I thought I had found one not too long ago and when I saw the price I thought, holy crap, forget that!!
    The flowers are looking purty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. zhakee, wildflower seeds are a great way to start new plants. I did the same thing in our fence row. Thanks for stopping by, I've added your blog to my daily perusals list.

    Paula, I forgot to mention that the kettle is a family heirloom that belonged to my grandmother. My mom used to plant geraniums and alyssum in it. I wanted to try something different and so far I love the look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I may or may not be able to reply to comments depending on how busy I am.