Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Candling Results - Day 12

I took this photo of my ducks last July when they were 3 days old. This is what's in store for us!

We're almost to the mid-point of egg incubation here at Twelve Acres. I was fortunate to be able to candle Ollie's and Macaroni's eggs today. I had no luck at all getting pictures though. Try as we might, we just couldn't get a decent photo.
I'm no pro at egg candling but at this stage of the game it's very easy to tell if an egg is good or bad. Good eggs are so filled with chick or duckling that they appear to be solid inside and show a very large, dark shadow along with an air cell on the large end of the egg. Bad eggs show nothing at all and sometimes you can still see the yolk. I removed any bad eggs I found and cracked them just to be sure. I had 100% accuracy! Here are the results so far.

Ollie (Buff Orpington hen): 4 good eggs, 2 bad

Daisy (Cayuga duck): 10 good, she removed 4 bad ones herself

Macaroni (Blue Swedish duck): 15 good, 1 bad

I will candle Violet's eggs in about 10 days and find out how many good ones she's got. She's setting like an old pro.

9 comments:

  1. I just love baby ducks! and grown ducks! I can't wait til hatch day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you are going to have chicks running all over the place!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I love reading your posts on this .... I can tell you are really enjoying it! Here's hoping they all hatch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very educational!!! Love the baby ducklings - they are adorable and so fuzzy! Good luck on your eggs come hatching day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! My sister and I are too afraid to throw out the ones we think are bad. We just have a few more days to go for the eggs in the incubator and my dad has built a really nice hatching box for them to finish in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't wait to see the little ducklings. Good luck Duck Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to have so many babies there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy!

    I have an award waiting for you at my blog!

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I may or may not be able to reply to comments depending on how busy I am.