Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Pumphouse

Built by my grandfather, it was once used to fill the tanks that were used to spray the orchard for fungus and insects that could ruin the crop of fruit each season. The tractor pulled up alonside the pumphouse and opened the lid for the spray tank behind it. A pull of the rope and hundreds of gallons of water would quickly fill the spray tank. They'd close the lid and off they'd go to spray the orchards. The spray was yellowish/green and had a bad smell to it. I stayed away from the orchards for a few days after a heavy spray just to give it a chance to dissipate.

The pumphouse is no longer operational but it is kept as a family heirloom of sorts. I'm glad my cousins had the foresight to preserve it for future generations, like my son Derek here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I may or may not be able to reply to comments depending on how busy I am.