Wednesday, October 31, 2007

White-Throated Sparrow


This little fellow flew into the living room window this afternoon and nearly killed himself. I found him in the mulch, dazed and very disoriented. I brought him inside and had Derek hold him while I looked him up in my bird book. He/she is a White-Throated Sparrow. I've never seen one before so it was a real treat to be able to get a good look at one close up. I think the golden lores are charming. Derek was thrilled to be holding a live bird in his hand.

We gave the sparrow a few minutes to become oriented again then took him outside to release him. We walked over to the Arborvitaes on the north edge of the property and Derek opened his hand to let the bird go. The sparrow just sat there on his hand like he wasn't sure what to do next. My bird book said that this species will not fly from a threat but will run off instead. I picked him up from Derek's hand then let him go in the air and he flew to the top of an Arbor vitae and chirped at us a few times. It was hard to tell if he was cussing at us or thanking us. We wished him well then went back inside. It was a very interesting few minutes we got to spend with this cute little bird. I hope he survives his head injury without complications.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I may or may not be able to reply to comments depending on how busy I am.